Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I'm on a boat, mate

It’s getting close to my first trip home and I’m starting to get excited about it. There’s enough going on here to keep my mind off of the trip for the most part, although I’m already lining up dinners and nights out with friends. I also found out that my friends Tim and Erin (not together-together... I don’t think???) are coming to visit in July. I am REALLY looking forward to hitting the Cross with Tim.

The Cali girls had a few visitors last week, Natalie’s twin sister Jennifer and Jenna’s best friend Alicia (gorgeous). Alicia knew a guy from Sydney named Simon that met up with us for dinner on Monday night. Simon studied abroad and became friends with her at Arizona State.  He was a really funny guy and we got on from the start. He had a really thick moustache (that he was very proud of) and a shaved head, which in itself is hilarious for a 23 year-old. He invited us out to his boat on Saturday night at the Royal Yacht Club in Point Piper, so we all planned to meet him there.  (Alicia and Simon on the boat pictured)

I didn’t really know what to expect when I showed up with 4 girls to a boat party. It ended up being Simon and 3 friends, sitting on his boat in the dock with the music cranked up. The boat was really nice - big enough to have a main deck with cabin below as well as the small second story steering area (sorry for butchering the naval lingo).  I still haven't figured out how he can afford it.  We all just sat on the docked boat and joked around. It was a bit cold, probably 60 degrees or so. When you walked out to the edge of the dock, it was really peaceful and quiet, which wasn’t the scene back at the boat.

It was the last night in Sydney for the Cali girls’ visitors, so they started to pair off with a few of the Aussie guys (to the amusement of the rest of us). We cranked the music up and that’s when it got interesting. A few of Simon’s friends showed up around 2 am absolutely hammered. Simon and a few of them stripped down to their boxers and started doing cannonballs into the water between the dock and boat – an area about 5 feet wide. I convinced the most smashed guy not to try to do a back flip in that confined space, but he still managed to cut up his arm jumping in or getting out.  Then they started trying to break dance on the dock which was hilarious. I took pictures with someone else’s camera, I’ll try to track them down and post.

By the end of the night ALL of the girls found an Aussie guy to make out with. I wasn’t looking to get lucky with anyone, but I knew that I would be catching a cab back to Coogee by myself.  I'm hoping to hang out with Simon and the guys because it would be good to get some Aussie guy friends - I have definitely been lacking in that department.

No comments:

Post a Comment