Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Surfers Paradise to Hamilton Island

Despite the name, Surfers Paradise doesn’t have waves like Byron. It’s very glitzy and done up compared to the laid back atmosphere at the bay an hour south of the state line. It reminded me of a combination between Miami and Las Vegas. All of the high rise condos, flashing billboards, restaurants and clubs were located on one main strip through the city. Brian and I booked another hostel called Islander. It was only $32 per person, but it was a bit dirtier than Aquarius. It looked like an old hotel from the 60s that had been converted. We met up with Krista’s brother and had dinner at a teppanyaki restaurant and then just crashed – we were so tired from the day.

The next morning we got up early and drove to Brisbane to catch our flight to Hamilton Island. We didn’t time it exactly right and were in a bit of a rush so I skipped filling up the tank (which ended up costing about $100, about $40 more than it would’ve cost at the pump). The car rental agent also found a scuff on the front bumper. I didn’t do a proper inspection when I got the car – NOTE TO EVERYONE: INSPECT YOUR RENTAL CAR BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE LOT – and I definitely did not hit anything while I was driving. It either happened while I was parked or was already there. Either way, I had to shell out almost $400 which was more than the rental in the first place. What a rip.

So we flew from Brisbane to Hamilton Island for only $50 each, the flight lasting about an hour and a half. It was resorts, condos and residences. It had a thick upper class feel... very manufactured and too perfect. I’m glad we weren’t staying there. We walked around the island in the sweltering heat for a few hours, taking pictures of the great views. We could have flown directly to Airlie Beach, but Brian and I landed on Hamilton Island for one purpose – to hold a koala. Holding koalas is illegal in New South Wales but legal in Queensland. I had petted a koala a few times and got close up to a wild one but I really, really wanted to cradle one in my arms like a little fuzzy baby. There was a wildlife sanctuary on the island that let you hold one of the animals for $20. Once we checked that off, we took the ferry ($45 each way) to Airlie Beach – the backpacker party spot and launching point for all of the sailing trips through the reef. Ours was on a boat called Summertime.

No comments:

Post a Comment