Thursday, December 27, 2012

Pappy Van Winkle

My stash
If you've never heard of Pappy Van Winkle bourbon, get educated.  It's highly sought after and widely praised by those in the know.  My friend (name redacted to protect their job) works at a wine store and was able to secure two bottles for me, one 23 year and one 20 year, even though each customer is only allowed to buy one.  The total cost - $450.

Now why would I do this?  I searched the 20 year bottle on Craigslist and it was going for $500.  This bourbon is so rare that stores only get a few bottles per year and they fly off the shelves.  So if I was lucky, I could keep the more expensive bottle and sell the cheaper one to cover the cost of both.

I immediately cracked open the 23 year and all I can say is that it is amazing.  No mixers, no ice, just straight, smooth bourbon.  Even if you don't like bourbon - if you get a chance, try it.

I started posting ads on Craigslist in the New York metro area during my last week of work, then in Atlanta when I went home for a few days, and finally in Kentucky as I drove up for the holidays.  I got a few inquiries here and there but nothing serious.  I dropped the price to $450 and then got a serious buyer in North Carolina.  After a little negotiation he got me down to $400, and with shipping that meant i got $375 out of it.  It wasn't quite what I wanted, but it would have to do.  Note - don't go into FedEx or UPS with a bottle of alcohol to ship.  Listen to me closely... you're shipping olive oil.  A fine, expensive bottle of olive oil.  You follow?

I shared my bottle with friends and before I knew it, it was gone.  But it was well worth it.  Then on a whim I searched eBay to see how much an empty bottle would go for.  To my surprise it was $50.  So I put my used bottle on the website and within 5 days I was shipping an empty bottle.  So in the end, I was only $25 in the hole.

I've seen a glass of this bourbon go from $40-50, and I can really justify that price.  But if you have a friend with a connection or find someone with a stash like I did, try to take advantage of it.  It's the best bourbon I've ever had!

No comments:

Post a Comment